Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 01:11:35 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        girgen@partitur.se
Subject:   Re: Will IDE disks impact SCSI or system performance?

On 18 May 1999 19:40:10 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.misc you wrote:

>On Tuesday, 18 May 1999 at 15:09:24 +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Our main internal server, FreeBSD 3.2b with five large SCSI disks,
>> running vinum and softupdates etc... It fast, and we're happy. It runs
>> both filesharing (mainly NFS) and applications.
>>
>> Now some guys here are interested in having a large archive with
>> not-so-important data (read mp3 files...) and suggest a large IDE disk
>> for almost no money at all.
>>
>> My question: will an IDE disk in a now SCSI-only system impact
>> performance for the rest of the system?
>
>Julian sort of answered this, but to be sure: if you run DMA, it
>shouldn't make any difference.  If you run it in PIO mode, you can end
>up using up to 90% of the processor in interrupt code, which will make
>it seem like it's grinding to a halt.

But only when the disk is being accessed no ?  Also, regarding the boot
issue someone else mentioned, you should be able to take the reference to
the drive out of the BIOS, and it will boot from your SCSI device.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada