Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:15:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Crap <freebsd-crap@FreeBSD.ORG>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Subject:   RE: Trademarks (was: FreeBSD Services Ltd)

On 04-Jul-01 Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 June 2001 at 11:07:17 -0700, Robert Clark wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:51:37PM -0500, Michael C . Wu wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:16:49PM -0700, Robert Clark scribbled:

>>> Please do your homework.  Kirk states using the daemon for anything
>>> other than obscene purposes is OK.  In addition, FreeBSD is not
>>> an enforceable trademark.
>>
>> Wow, I didn't know that.
>
> Neither did I.  On the contrary, I know that Kirk does what he can to
> ensure that the daemon image is only used in a BSD context, and
> FreeBSD was a registered trade mark of BSDi.  I assume it has now gone
> to Wind River systems.

 As far as I know the FreeBSD trademark is not owned by Windriver, however the
BSDI trademark is. The FreeBSD trademark is held by the FreeBSD Inc non profit
group.

 I asked Kirk abt using the Daemon image for my (now half)venture of Daemon
Technologies(tm) (As it is also trademarked BTW) and he said sure, just send me
some money if you make any money from it and make sure that I give proper
credit and notice as to ownership of the Daemon image.

 So basicly I think it is a stance of..  If you are a small fry and want to use
it, just make sure people know who really owns it, and if you are a bigger
entity, you better be prepared to share some moola And (probobly) give credit
as well.

   Nicole
    nicole@daemontech.com  nicole@daemontechnologies.com

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers

   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  nicole@unixgirl.com           http://www.unixgirl.com/
  webmistress@dangermouse.org   http://www.dangermouse.org/
  nicole@deviantimages.com      http://www.deviantimages.com/