Date:      Wed, 11 May 2005 11:45:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian O'Shea <b_oshea@yahoo.com>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot loader doesn't see [root filesystem on] ATA disk after successful install

--- Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp> wrote:

> From what little I've seen, it could be worth a try if you have the
> time.

Ok, I tried booting the loader on the SCSI disk, and then telling it
to boot the kernel on the IDE disk.  In this case it just beeped and
returned me to the prompt to select a disk (F1 or F5) to boot from.
The lsdev command on this boot loader gave the same results as the
one booted from the IDE disk.

> From what I've read and what I've experienced, putting hard disks
> and CD-ROMs on the same channel is counterproductive. Boot problems
> and data problems are said to be likely on many controller and drive
> combinations.

I know, and I wouldn't have done that except that I was surprised to
find out that this PC only has one socket for an IDE cable.  It has
two on-board IDE controllers though!  (this is an HP Kayak XU with dual
PII processors, a little on the old side, but it's the only i386 SMP
system that I have access to at the moment).

> > > If you can boot from the SCSI, check the dmesg there to see whether
> > > the ATA controller is recognized by the older system. That wouldn't
> > > give an absolute answer, but might yield a clue.
> >
> > The older system can see the CD-ROM drive, so it must be recognizing
> > the ATA controller.  I'll post the relevant dmesg output tomorrow
> > though.

Here is the relevant dmesg output:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xfcd0-0xfcdf at device 7.1 on
pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 76319MB <WDC WD800JB-00JJC0> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <CD-532E-A> at ata0-slave PIO4

Thanks for your helpful replies,
-brian