Date:      Thu, 04 May 2000 14:38:22 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: low cost consultant (?)

On 5/4/00, 4:17:58 AM, Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net> wrote=20
regarding RE: low cost consultant:

<snip>

> After reading several web pages and emails about getting a sound card =

> work I have yet to get mine to work once again.  I know what I have=20
but
> that does not seem to help.  It is a PCI card, sb16 and PnP.  Nothing =

> seem to do will get it to work.  And it may just be that sound is=20
working
> and my problem with X dieing is simply an X problem.

<snip>

> The reason I have a home box is so I can learn, but what I have=20
learned
> about sound card configuration is that is simply not easy given that
> the existing documentation is not helping me, even though I know my
> hardware works, because it was before I did a new re-install of 3.4. I=

> have been told 4.0 has made great advances in making sound card
> configuration much easier.

<snip>

> FreeBSD is my choice and I am determined to get it working one way or
> another.

Dear Brennan Stehling,

On the one hand, I can understand your reasons, and I even sympathize=20
with you; on the other, I am afraid that you miss some points, and=20
that you have somehow lost your patience.

As an aside, I am running, among other things, *three* FreeBSD systems=20
on my (single) homebox, viz 3.4-S, 4.S and 5-CURRENT, and I had to=20
configure my SB AWE 64 (ISA) under all of them. Not to mention the=20
fact that I had configured it under Linux.  =20

Mind you, in all of those cases, it was NOT very difficult; it only=20
involved a little work and a little RTFM at large. I faced the FreeBSD=20
problems one Saturday afternoon, and tried a couple of solutions; I=20
had an epistolary exchange with one person in this list, and our=20
experience got posted.

Although I did find working solutions for my sound card, at the=20
beginning of my search I was well aware that I could even find NO=20
solution at all.

Personally, I see FreeBSD as a *server* and *workstation* OS albeit I=20
have also been (ab)using it as a desktop -- an excellent desktop for=20
that matter. Accordingly, I consider sound support as an "added=20
bonus."=20

Please note: I do like Music, in particular, *classical* composers,=20
and I do like listening to them (especially Bach) while at my homebox=20
console.=20

The fact that some Linux distros are developing the *desktop* side of=20
the OS will probably ... stimulate some of the FreeBSD guys to improve=20
FreeBSD sound support :-) But please always keep in mind that the=20
dreaded sound support is definitely NOT the primary goal of the=20
FreeBSD Project.

That being said, I would suggest changing your attitude a little.=20
Rather than risk getting flamed you will get far more help and far=20
more constructive responses. If anybody has that PCI card and has=20
actually made it work, he/she will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
Salvo