Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 18:25:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop dead, suggestions?

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Warner Losh wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My Sony VAIO Z1W died this weekend at BSDcan.  Both the hard dirve and
> the laptop are dead.  The hard drive doesn't spin up on about half a
> dozen different machines and enclosures.  The data is likely gone
> forever, unless I can find a good data recovery place.
>
> So, I'm in the market for a new laptop.  Unless someone is donating me
> a decent one, I'd like it to have the following characteristics:
> 	>= 1GHz speed
> 	>= 512MB RAM
> 	>= 40GB hard disk
> 	Excellent battery life
> 	light weight (< 4 pounds?)
> 	decent scren
> 	well constructed
> 	PC Card slot
> 	ExpressCard slot
> 	SD card slot (with the standard SD host interface)
> 	builtin wireless
>
> Does anybody have any recommendations?

I love my Tecra M5 from Toshiba. Even though the sound, internal wireless,
SD card, and pretty much all of the ACPI sleep functions don't work in
FreeBSD, it's still a gorgeous lightweight powerhouse. Magnesium alloy
cases are to die for. The way I figure it, eventually my devices will be
supported, so the laptop just gets better with age!