Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2002 11:52:53 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Andrey Beresovsky <and@rsu.ru>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: Need to override KRNLCONFDIR variable in command line of make (file  /usr/src/Makefile.inc1).

Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 05:37:34PM +0300, Andrey Beresovsky wrote:
> > I am developing a program which will allow me to build worlds and
> > kernels for several hosts with different options (make.conf files,
> > kernel configs and so on).  I need to be able to override some
> > variables in /usr/src/Makefile.inc1. For the moment they are defined
> > with '=', and I suggest defining them with '?='. The variables I
> > need to override are KRNLSRCDIR, KRNLCONFDIR, KRNLOBJDIR. I have
> > sent PR (misc/45961) with patch to solve my request.
> >
> > Please, anyone who has a commit rights, commit this patch.
>
> I was wondering about that when I saw your PR; actually, I think that
> the current FreeBSD kernel building infrastructure is quite sufficient
> for what you want to do, without any more modifications.

Don't feel bad; this is the same thing they told me when I
submitted the same patch.

What they really mean is that it's "sufficient for them", because
they don't understand what it is you want to do.  Specifically, if
the kernel name isn't "GENERIC", you get screwed by sysinstall, if
you make a full release CDROM.

The problem is that you are talking to people who rarely make their
own release CDROM's, and, when they do, they use GENERIC.

-- Terry