Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 00:21:29 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'ntpdate' time server

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> I don't want the standard xntpd server, I want a server that you can
> point 'ntpdate' too along the lines of 'ntpdate foof.com' and it
> updates your clock.  The reason I want this server is I have a
> firewalled network, and I want servers on the firewall'ed side to
> somehow get their time sanity from a machine which can sync with
> others in the world.  I figured I could have a server outside the
> firewall keep in sync with other boxes on the net, and in turn it
> could be a server for the firewalled side of the network.  The
> connectivity isn't a concern--I can handle that.  My only problem is
> I have no idea how to setup a server that 'ntpdate' will recognize as
> such.  I don't want to setup a continuous xntpd syncing mechanism, I
> just want to have the firewalled boxes run ntpdate once a night.
> Help?  I've dickered with xntpd trying to get it to do what I want to
> no avail...

You _want_ an xntpd server :)  Ntpdate is a 'single-fire' xntpd, which
means it polls an xntpd server for the time.  You'll have to set up an
xntpd on your firewall machine (or another box that can see both sides
of the wall) and have your inside clients poll it.  Do you have a
reason for not wanting to put xntpd on your machines?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com