Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:45:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, jkh@time.cdrom.com, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how about including dummynet in 2.2.7 ?

> This is the time to do this.....
> Peter Wemm is possibly going to add the transparent proxy stuff which
> blows the struct well over 1 mbuf anyhow.
> his patch also includes the "use a cluster" fix from -current"

why not increasing default mbufs to 256 instead of the current 128 ?
I have heard this is already done in -current and i think it would also
improve performance with mid-sized packets (e.g. http requests and such)
by not requiring a cluster.

> I think the field in the pkthdr isn't that importand an issue as the
> kernel will still be self consitant (except for denis's driver which ships
> as a .o (from memory))

it is annoying though because the struct is not initialized upon
allocation, and i had to hunt all the places where an mbuf was
allocated and zero the new field explicitly. I think the problem in
using dummynet together with divert (or nat ? Philippe ?) come from
some missing initialization of this field.

Also, the new field has no use for dummynet since i can safely store
the associated info in a static variable, since it is used immediately.
Not so nice, and it needs some further trick to work with SMP, but
we already have a similar hack^H^H^H^Hsolution for divert.

	cheers
	luigi