Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:21:42 -0800
From:      Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can the bootloader create a file or set a flag in the bootblocks?

Mike Smith writes:
    > It would be kind of cool if when managing a remote system if
    > /kernel failed to boot, then on the next boot, the loader will
    > fire up /kernel.old, or a /kernel.somethingorother.

    We're trying to work out a clean way of managing that sort of
    persistent state that doesn't involve nasty hacks like the
    'nextboot' code did.  It's kinda tricky if you don't want "write"
    implemented in all your filesystems (bloat!)

Maybe I don't understand the problem here, but something akin to how
kernel configuration changes are handled seems like a good way to deal
with this problem. /boot/loader could stuff something into memory (sort
of like the way you can stuff a splash screen into memory), and a
user-level program can read that information and stuff it wherever it
needs to be stuffed.

That may be a little hard with tftp, but with most of the other media
types it seems like it should be relatively straightforward.