Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:54:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Olzheim <marcolz@stack.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!  6.0-RELEASE coming

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Marc Olzheim wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:05:07PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>>  Everyone is still welcome to update their sources on the RELENG_6_0
>>  branch and provide feedback for the next 48 hours or so.  The release
>>  will likely be announced by the end of the weekend or early next
>>  week, at the latest.
>
> Anyone having updates for my showstopper page, please, notify me...
>
> http://www.stack.nl/%7Emarcolz/FreeBSD/showstoppers.html
>
> We are still installing new servers with 4.x, because I haven't seen a
> really stable FreeBSD-stable release since... This includes current
> RELENG_6_0.

I started going through the ktrace code a few days ago to look at adding
thread IDs to ktrace records.  I'm happy to pick up the ktrace item in
your todo list.  My plan is basically to restore elements of the 4.x
queueing model: rather than asynchronously dispatching all ktrace records
to a single worker thread, dispatch them to disk from the system call
return path for a thread.  There are a few issues with threading that
require attention -- in particular, avoiding writes on the vnode operation
after close.  This will also slow down ktracing again, but should avoid
dropping records.  I hope to have something hacked together in a few days,
but not in time for 6.0.

Robert N M Watson