Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:28:50 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoftUpdates/hardware write cache

On 7 Mar 2001, at 20:06, Mike Meyer boldly uttered:

> Philip J. Koenig <pjklist@ekahuna.com> types:
> > Apparently the new drive has the internal write cache turned off by
> > default.  I'm about to enable SoftUpdates with the tunefs thing and I
> > was wondering if I should also enable the disk's internal write
> > cache.  My experience in the past with other OS's says it can make a
> > big performance improvement.
>
> Generally, this isn't recommended. Soft updates *depend* on the device
> actually having written the data to disk when it claims it has, and in
> the order it specified.
>
> > This machine runs on a large UPS so power-loss isn't a big issue.
>
> Well, if you want to try it, go ahead. If you have the time, I'd be
> interested in timings for all four cases (softupdates yes/no, write
> cache yes/no).

What benchmark and settings would be most helpful?  I've
got iozone-3.9 and bonnie-1.0 installed on this system.

> > I know there is some Unix program that can at least read mode pages,
> > I'm hoping it can set them too.  My DOS program won't work on this
> > hardware and I'd hate to have to stick the drive on a Windows machine
> > to set that setting. :-)
>
> Camcontrol can do that for your scsi devices.

Thanks - I remember that command now.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium