Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 12:53:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, paul@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netware gateway.

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > Nope.  Run winsock stacks doing native IP over ethernet alongside the
> > IPX/whatever stack, put the FreeBSD box on the ethernet with the serial
> > link out; put all of the internal systems on a fake IP net, disable
> > routing on the FreeBSD box, and run a socks proxy on it.
> >
> > Presto; instant firewall, easy net access.  You can run all your mail
> > on the FreeBSD box using pop or imap, and with appropriate clients
> > you can still talk out.  You can put the CERN proxy httpd on the
> > FreeBSD system as well, and take advantage of an organisation-wide
> > web cache.
> >
> > This is easy to set up, and a very popular use for FreeBSD systems around
> > here.
>
> It neglects the additional negotiation that takes place for the NOVIX
> tunneling NLM.

IIRC, the desire was to connect a pile of WfW boxes on a Novell network to
the 'net, not to bridge two Novell networks across the 'net.

Using IPX/SPX for any part of this is a Bad Idea, on the KISS principle.

> 					Terry Lambert

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[