Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 21:43:13 +0100
From:      Rob <robert@irrelevant.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        work <robert@aphnet.co.uk>
Subject:   ppp: Interrupted system call

I am having some trouble with ppp dialing automatically on FreeBSD 2.2.7
(downloaded and installed last week).  I swapped the hdd from a 486sx20 to
a 486dx2/80 because of problems with the serial ports, but I am still
getting the following errors reported on the console and /var/log/messages.
  Kernel is the standard GENERIC kernel, with all the unrequired hardware
deleted via -c on bootup.  There is a standard NE2000 compatible Network
card, but that's on IRQ 5, so it's not interfering..  There is nothing else
in the machine bar an ide hdd and a vga card, and the only additional
service running is named.

The modem is a Racal Winstream ISDN modem, which basically pretends to be a
hayes modem, connected to COM1:.  cts/rts handshake is definitely on..
After several of the following messages, it will actually dial and connect
correctly.

Sep  4 02:00:26 alisha ppp[156]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa0:
Interrupted system call
Sep  4 02:00:55 alisha ppp[156]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa0:
Interrupted system call
Sep  4 02:01:24 alisha ppp[156]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa0:
Interrupted system call

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf is:

default:
 set device /dev/cuaa0
 set speed 115200
 set ctsrts on
 disable pred1
 deny pred1
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0
OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set redial 3 10

dialup:
 set line /dev/cuaa0
# set speed 115200
 set phone 9507776
 set authkey ******
 set timeout 90
 set login "TIMEOUT 10 ogin:--ogin: aph word: \\P"
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 delete all
 add 0 0 HISADDR
#
 alias enable yes
 alias same_ports yes
 alias port tcp 192.168.5.33:2000 2000

ppp is initiated with

ppp -alias -auto dialup

As an aside, it is dialing rather too often - the above entries were at
2am, when there shouldn't have been anything using it!  The only things on
the network that would have been on were this box and an NT4 Server.
Should I be blocking anything else anywhere?

Many thanks,

Rob O'Donnell.

                                                     <\---/>
                                                     ( . . )