Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:25:57 -0600
From:      "Andrew Falanga" <af300wsm@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   About file systems and formats

Yesterday while working on a problem at work, a colleague and I were talking
about the various file systems and something that I have always wondered on
is what are the various file systems doing when a format is being done.  For
example, at home, my PC has 2 80gb drives.  One for Windows and the other
for FreeBSD.  It took Windows nearly an hour (give or take) to format the
80gb drive.  On the other hand, it took FreeBSD little more than 3 - 5
minutes to format its 80gb drive.

Both drives are similar in capability.  They are both 7200 rpm drives, etc.
So what is so much different about NTFS from FFS?  Are the file systems
really that different that MS's system is simply dog slow, or is the format
for FreeBSD skipping some "integrity" checks on the surface of the drive or
whatever (this assumes that the MS install process is actually doing this).
Please understand, I intend only to find the answer to the question with
this.  I'm looking for starting a "war" about who's file system rocks more
than the other.  The idea of an integrity check was just speculation between
my colleague and I because there such a speed difference in formatting
things (once windows is installed) when choosing between a "Quick Format" or
a "Full Format".

Can someone here offer some in depth information on this for me?  Thanks.

Andy

P.S. on a side note, but related to this, in what directories under the
system sources will I find the source code for the FFS used by FreeBSD, and
how are those modules structured?