Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:32:05 +0100
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        "Arno J. Klaassen" <arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.2-PRERELEASE freezing on reboot (-current OK)

2010/12/10 Arno J. Klaassen <arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> just FYI that on an 8-way Tyan S3992-E based box, a reboot under
> 8.2-PRERELEASE (in fact, 8-stable since quite a while) makes the box
> freeze, whilst the same thing under -current works OK.
>
> For info the end of console output in both cases as well as dmesg.boot
> for -current.
>
> Feel free to contact me for more info or test patches.

Hello Arno,
I'd need you do the following things:
- Compile a new kernel including this patch:
http://www.freebsd.org/~attilio/diagno-stable8.diff

and including the kernel config options KDB, DDB, DIAGNOSTIC and WITNESS.
Please accurately skip, if present in your config file, options
WITNESS_SKIPSPIN and KDB_UNATTENDED.

These options could make the deadlock not visible anymore, at some extent.
You may repeat a lot of times the reboot in order to try to get
something but if you can't reproduce it just let me know.

- When the kernel deadlocks, this time, after a while it should be
able to resolve the deadlock alone.
If that happens you will see the DDB prompt. At the ddb prompt type
the following commands:
db> ps
db> show allpcpu
db> allt
db> show alllocks

Note that this is quite a big output and you'd need a serial console to log it.
If you can't arrange serial connections, I'll tell you what
informations I need to specifically check and you may annotate someway
and reply to me (the full logs would be valuable, but it is better
than nothing).

Are the instructions clear?

Let me know if you have any question.

Attilio