Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:16:53 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_create

On Thursday 04 November 2004 07:17 am, Gert Cuykens wrote:
> When you do make install in a ports application /usr/ports/...
> Does it create a pkg in /var/db/pkg/... ?
>
> And do you use pkg_create like this  pkg_create pkgname
> /var/db/pkg/... or like this  pkg_create pkgname /usr/ports/...
>
> Whats the difference between  /var/db/pkg/... and
> /usr/ports/pakages/... ?

Gert,

Are you trying to create a package you can reinstall or move to
another system?

If this is the case, there are several ways it can be done. Two that
I use are:
 make package
or
 make
 make install
 make package
or
 make install
 make package
or
 make && make install && make package

It can also be done from portupgrade. If you want to make a package
while upgradeing a port:
 portupgrade -p  "portname"

I would also like to add, some ports are marked as not building a
package, for licensing reasons and other reasons.

If you have /usr/ports/packages, packages will be put there,
otherwise they'll get put in the port.

Don

--
Donald J. O'Neill