Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:51:04 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        "Noah" <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: php4 install has conflicts

--nextPart1271808.z9gKUsvk66

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:45, Noah wrote:
> > I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe you need to
> > reinstall those ports. Just force delete all old versions of mod-
> > php4 and then install the new version of php4 or mod-php4 (whichever
> > one you actually want). The other ports shouldn't need to be
> > reinstalled, because the new version of php installs to the same
> > location as the old version. Hence the ports that use it will just
> > use the new version automatically. You may also want to clean up the
> > duplicate gallery versions by using pkg_delete -f to remove both
> > versions and then install just the latest version of gallery.
> >
> > To avoid this problem in the future, always use portupgrade to
> > upgrade your ports. That way you won't get multiple versions installed!
>
> okay thank you,
>
> do you know of a command that can show me all the ports that are installed
> on my machine?  is there a nice tutorial that explains how to use the por=
ts
> efficiently and safetly?
> cheers,=20
> Noah

pkg_info will show you all the packages installed on your machine, portvers=
ion=20
will do this too & show you wether they are up to date or not (assuming you=
=20
have cvsuped your ports collection). portversion -vL=3D will show you which=
=20
ones are not up to date.
There is an excellent turorial on portupgrade from Dr. Dru Lavigne at=20
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
She has lot's of great articles in her FreeBSD basics series, the Big Scary=
=20
Deamons articles are great too (also at http://www.onlamp.com)

> also how do I upgrade and/or install php4?
>=20
> --- snip ---
>=20
> # portupgrade php4
> ** No such package 'php4' is installed.
> # portinstall php4
> ** No such installed package nor such port called 'php4' is found.
>=20
> --- snip ---
>=20

That's where you need to use portupgrade -N php4-4.3.9_1  (-N means install=
 a=20
new port) or you can just cd to the php4 port directory and use make instal=
l=20
clean to install it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,