Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:14:10 +0900 (JST)
From:      Naoki Hamada <nao@sbl.cl.nec.co.jp>
To:        amurai@spec.co.jp
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet 3c579(EISA) is functional? (FIXED!)

Atsushi wrote:
>OK. Nao, But I just have only 3c579 EISA not others and no technical
>manual. So, how can we certify all other hardware ? Because your code
>is also patching common if_ep.c, right ?

`EtherLink III Parallel Tasking ISA, EISA, Micro Channel, and PCMCIA
Adapter Drivers Technical Reference' from 3COM describes the resource
configuration register:

|For 3C509, 3C579, 3C589, 3C589B:
|
|bits 0-7: Reserved
|bits 8-11: Reserved, must be all 1
|bits 12-15: IRQ
|
|For 3C509B:
|
|bits 0-5: Reserved
|bit 6: Synchronous Ready
|bits 7-11: Reserved
|bits 12-15: IRQ
|
|Synchronous Ready:
|Normal I/O cycles if clear. If set, the adapter will assert I/OCHRDY
|on every I/O access. This may allow the board to work in a
|noncompliant bus that would otherwise not be supported (for example,
|an ISA bus running faster than spec). This bit defaults to 0 on
|power-up, but is overwritten from the EEPROM.

When the ep driver sets the IRQ of the resouce configuration register,
it overwrites bits 0-11 with 0xf00. (So if an user sets 'Synchronous
Ready' with the DOS utility, it is cancelled by the ep driver.)  We
have to be more preservative, so my revised driver reads the current
value and writes it back.

My patch affects only ISA and EISA attach routines. For now, my 3C509B
works well.

-nao