Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:53:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is this IT  or not/

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Gary Kline wrote:
 > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 01:22:37AM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:25:35 -0800 Gary Kline wrote:
[..]
 > > Which brings me to your earlier (unresolved?) question about missing
 > > sound on playing audio CDs .. first assuming your CD drive is properly
 > > externally wired to your soundcard(?), check the level on the 'cd'
 > > device, in Kmix 'input' tab or if in doubt, good ol' /usr/sbin/mixer:
 > >
 > >  paqi% mixer
[..]
 > >  Mixer cd       is currently set to  92:92

Quoting out of place, from your later message to Andreus:

 >      Thanks for your input, but it was ignorance that KsCD is not for
 >      playback  of audio CD's on FBSD.  This from Michael Nottebrook.

That's odd: KsCD is working here, now, playing a favourite audio CD.

Caveat: older KDE 3.5.4 and 5-STABLE.  I doubt it's lost features ..

Maybe your soundcard wiring to the player isn't right?  KsCD uses ~0%
CPU so I gather it's just shunting the CD player's audio to the mixer,
ie not actually reading any CD data itself.  Maybe this just doesn't
work with your particular soundcard and/or CD drive ..

Cheers, Ian