Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:06:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no
Subject:   Re: buggy ATA controller: I can install 4.11, but not 5.3 !?!

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:10:09 -0800 (PST)
> Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have installed 4.11, without any problems,
>>although the dmesg output has a line about buggy
>>ATA controller (see below for dmesg output).
>

> The controller is broken. For the whole ugly story,
> see  http://mindprod.com/eideflaw.html

Yes, indeed. But I knew about that.

>>When I try to install 5.3 in this PC (using the
>
> What does the dmesg say, if yor press "Scroll Lock"
> and page up in it?
> Is your ata controller and / or disk detected at
> all?

Well, I got stuck during the initial stage of the
install process; I haven't got any kernel info at
that point, or have I?

>>Moreover, 4.11 seems to be running fine on this PC.
>
> Well, if it works, why don't you just keep it?

That's not the issue here. Of course I stick with
4.11; I don't have a choice.

With this email, I want to report that this problem
is 'solved' by 4.11 and prior, but not anymore in
5.3.

Rob.