Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:23:47 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gernot Hueber <hueber@riic.at>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Some ona knows about this?, opinions please! SAMA article.

Gernot Hueber <hueber@riic.at> types:
> BTW how can I switch to async mode (softupdates or noatime)?

noatime is *not* async; it just throws away iformation you may not
need. It's an option to the mount command.

If you want things to behave just like EXT2, mount the file systems
with the async option of the mount command. From the man page:

     async   All I/O to the file system should be done asynchronously.
             This is a dangerous flag to set, and should not be used
             unless you are prepared to recreate the file system
             should your system crash.

softupdates is a bit more complicated. You need to use tunefs to
enabled (or disable) it on the file system while it's unmounted or
mounted read-only. If you've got a sufficiently recent version of
newfs, you can enable softupdates when the file system is created.

Note that if a file system has soft updates enabled, the async option
to the mount command will be ignored.

See the various man pages for details.

	<mike