Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:45:24 -0600
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Alex Mayfield" <alexmayfield@carolina.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't seem to boot from 6.0-RELEASE

On 2/22/06, Alex Mayfield <alexmayfield@carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm rather new to FreeBSD, and have been wanting to try it out.  However,
> I am unable to boot from either the i386 6.0-RELEASE bootonly or the i386
> 6.0-RELEASE disc 1 CD.  I'm running an Athlon 64 3000+ on a WinFast
> 755FXK8AA motherboard (Socket 939, SiS 755 North Bridge, SiS 964 South
> Bridge).  The boot CD dies right after ago0: figures out my SiS 755 with:
>
> panic: pmap_mapdev: Couldn't alloc kernel virtual memory.
>
> Having searched for my problem before posting, I found that another
> individual has had a similar problem to mine:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20060122170123.I76421
>
> I followed his initiative and tried the boot option that didn't use ACPI.
> No dice.  I also checked the MD5 of both CD's and they checked out fine.
> Finally, I tried to boot the amd64 version of FreeBSD, and this time it
> booted just fine and I got to an installation screen.  However, given the
> fact that there are no nvidia drivers for the 64 bit version, and certain
> programs being unavalable for amd64, I'd really just prefer to use the
> i386 version instead.

Your not using the right install CDs. You have an AMD 64-Bit chip so
you can't (AFAIK) use the I386 Release. Maybe there is a setting in
the BIOS for I386 compat, I have no experience with AMD's 64-Bit chips
so this is just a guess. Or try disabling ACPI and everything else in
the BIOS etc... That's the price you pay for being an early adopter,
you don't need nvidia gfx for an Opteron server.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-amd64/6.1/

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/