Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:51:02 +0300
From:      Igor Roboul <igorr@sysadm.stc>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling softupdates remotely

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:28:02AM +0300, Varshavchick Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you guide me please on the procedure of enabling softupdates remotely,
> in case I have no access to the server console?
ssh to host. umount filesystems you wish turn softupdates on. turn
softupdates on. mount filesystems.
If you wish turn softupdates on /usr or other filesystem which could
not be umounted, then make simple modification to /etc/rc which will
turn softupdates before mounting filesystems. Then remote reboot (THIS
CAN BE RISKY!!!!). Remove your changes from /etc/rc

I have did this at least once.

--
Igor Roboul, System administrator at Speech Technology Center
http://www.speechpro.com http://www.speechpro.ru