Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:45:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat Barron <pat@transarc.ibm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why can't I get 800x600 resolution on my laptop display on 4.4-R?

Well, I'm finally getting my systems upgraded to 4.4, and one of the
machines I'm working with is an IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  First, I'd like to
say that I'm thankful that the boot loader in 4.4 includes a workaround
for an oddity in the ThinkPad BIOS that prevented me from installing 4.3
from CD-ROM - that works fine now.

But, I noticed another problem right away.  I can't get X to use the
entire 800x600 resolution that my display is capable of.  Whenever I
choose 800x600 resolution in XF86Setup, the server won't start.  If I
choose 640x480, it does start, but that doesn't give me enough screen real
estate to be that useful.

The 380XD uses the NeoMagic 128XD chipset.  I picked "NeoMagic" as my
display adapter in XF86Setup.  However, when I start the X server, it
reports "Chipset: generic".  I could swear that, in FreeBSD 4.3, there was
specific chipset support for the NeoMagic 128XD in the server.  Am I
mistaken about that?  Could that be what's causing my problem?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
--Pat.