Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 03:19:40 -0600
From:      "Dan Dockery" <danarchy@endeneu.com>
To:        "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>, "pgervais" <pgervais@glen-net.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP support

>If I absolutely needed SMP I would stick with 3.0-RELEASE as found
>on the CDROM (or a -SNAP made before the middle of January), or wait
>awhile until it's working again. Howeber it may be related to my hardware
>and it may be rock solid for you. I have Adaptec 27something PCI SCSI,
>IDE drives, NE2000 PCI network, 128MB RAM.

I had it working as of yesterday, but I was just running 3.0-RELEASE as
well.  The hard drive died, though.  :/  My motherboard was just a cheapo
Amptron dual-PII with the LX chipset , but it was really fast with a
couple of 333's.  I was quite pleased with the performance....  Now all I
need is a hard drive that I can use with it...  (the one I borrowed, IIRC
was already dying..  just didn't die _hard_ until yesterday).
In any case, though, things seemed completely solid right up until the HD
died.

-Dan

"Come give anyone of us, for instance, a little more independence, untie our hands, widen the spheres of our activity, relax the controls and we -- yes, I assure you -- we would immediately beg to be under control again."
  -Dostoevsky "Notes from Underground"