Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:43:36 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Donald Laniohan" <donald@mlansd.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: my brother is making me learn FreeBSD...

"Donald Laniohan" <donald@mlansd.com> wrote:

> My task is to build a BSD server and do something with it. That is all the
> information he gave me, that, and any questions I have to make Google my
> best friend, which I have. i remember building my first whitebox, it was a
> 386 with windows 3.1. I remember when I built my 486 and stole a copy of
> windows 95. I thought I was a savage. BSD, however, has showed me how
> juvenile I have been. If I do not master BSD my brother is going to keep me
> as a desktop support for his windows clients and I want to progress past
> this. So he's giving me a 1u, and said to put BSD on it and make it do
> something, im just so stuck in my windows comfort zone I can't think of what
> I would need a unix server to that I couldn't make windows do for me. I know
> this is trivial but if somebody could offer any suggestion or resource I,
> and my career, would greatly appreciate it

While the other advice is good, I'd just set up an Apache web server if I
were you.  It's one of the simpler tasks to take on, and you'll find lots
and lots of assistance on this via Google.

Another, possibly even easier, option is to set up a shell server.  Just
install the OS, enable sshd and add some users.  You could argue that it's
a secure file transfer server (load up WinSCP on a Windows box and show off
just how 133t your are)

The handbook is going to be your best guide initially:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com