Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:08:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      pgl@moo.terminal.cz
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm0

Hi,

Thanks for the help. However :

1) I've fixed it now already, another way

2) I don't understand how removing the if or fi lines from MAKEDEV will
change anything? There are no pcm devices, and if I typed "MAKEDEV snd0"
it would work without the changes. If I typed "MAKEDEV snd1", how is
that different from the first one? How is snd0 linked to pcm0 - I thought
I was meant to comment out snd0 from the kernel config file?

By the way, here's how I fixed it : I assigned pcm0 some default
values in my kernel config file, and looking at the values that pnp0 assigns
to pcm1. Then I changed the values of pcm0 in my kernel config, and removed
the pnp0 controller. My soundcard works without skipping now (no conflicts).
I'm still baffled as to how I can use the pnp0 controller in conjuction with
the pcm0 driver (or any driver?), as when the kernel says "pcm0 not configured,
perhaps you want pcm1?", I don't know how to get the audio player (amp, xanim,
etc etc) to -use- pcm1 instead of pcm0. I don't know much about the
device nodes etc.

FYI, the lines from my kernel config file :

--

[moo:pgl]:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf $ grep pcm0 MOO
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13 vector pcmintr

--

Once again, thanks for the quick answers.

Regards,

Peter Lowe.

--
Peter Lowe