Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:48:40 -0500
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        g <burk@sumail.ru>
Subject:   Re: Best laptop for Freebsd

> Hi Folks,
>
> Well I stayed off the beer and other sinful delights for a while (month
> or so P:) and have raked together enough cash to buy a new laptop. For
> those of you out there with experience what would you advise. The plan
> would be for ..unfortunately Windoze (vba stuff for work), Freebsd, and
> most likely fedora. I had no problems getting my wireless to
> work on the old one using the ndis stuff and freebsd beat the other
> two hands down for performance.
>
> Is there any one model or product that would be better for Freebsd 6 (as
> this is my day in day out operating system).
>
> Any experiences and or advise would be much appreciated.
>

> thanks
>
> Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It's not FreeBSD, but may I suggest an Apple PowerBook running MacOS X
? Or the new MacBook line?

I use a PowerBook G4 under MacOS X 10.4.8 as an administration system
everyday to manage around 50+ FreeBSD servers. I connect to my
server's serial consoles via a USB-to-Serial adapter from Keyspan with
ZTerm. You also have access to a ports-like environement on MacOS X
via http://www.macports.org/ and http://www.darwinports.com/.  It
works great.

My two cents.

David