Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:32:52 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading to 4.6 and upgrading XFree

+---- David Syphers wrote:
| On Tuesday 18 June 2002 10:17 am, Steve Tremblett wrote:
| > When making the world, there's an option for NO_X11 (or something like
| > that), so I'm just curious as to what actually depends on that and if
| > the version matters?
|
| Where is there a NO_X11 option?  Making world does not depend on X.  In
| general it's a good idea to set the version of X in make.conf, however.  The
| default has changed from 3 to 4 (in FreeBSD 4.6).

I remembered seeing this option before but I'll be damned if I can
locate a document that mentions it now.  Maybe I'm completely wrong.
Oh well

| > I'm a little spooked about using portupgrade for XF86 - I can't figure
| > out why it doesn't understand the versioning on my system - when I run
| > portversion it shows MANY of my packages have a version GREATER than
| > /usr/ports, even after cvsupping /usr/ports and rebuilding the index.
| > I tried portupgrade for a few things and it started "upgrading"
| > dependencies but it actually tried to install lesser versions before I
| > stopped it.
|
| Portupgrade should work fine for X.  The version problem is a little puzzling.
| I assume that /usr/ports isn't actually being updated.  Are you sure you have
| a server specified in your supfile, and that you've uncommented all the port
| directories you want updated?

cvsup is definitely updating my ports.  I've played around a lot with
this and I just can't figure it out.  I will cvsup my ports tree,
remake the INDEX and run pkgdb -u or pkgdb -F, but I still get this
output:

maelstrom                   >
malsync                     >
mkisofs                     >
mozilla                     >
mp-letter                   =
mpeg_lib                    =
mpeg_play                   =
mtools                      >
mutt                        >
nasm                        >
ncftp3                      >

More than half will show ">"

| > Can anyone suggest the best old-style route to upgrading X?  I'm
| > guessing I should rebuild all my X-dependent ports as well?
|
| The old style route is to pkg_delete the program, and then install the new
| version.  However, this is what portupgrade does, but with automatic
| dependency handling.  The X-dependent ports should be rebuilt, I'd guess.

Thanks.  I'm going to give more attention to this annoying portupgrade
problem and maybe I can get that going.  I'm certainly not going to use
it until it stops being confused about my versions! :)

--
Steve Tremblett