Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:21:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network monitoring

I apologize that this probably isn't the most relevant
list to ask this on. Suggestions for better lists will
be welcome.

I'm trying to monitor traffice on a 100BaseT ethernet
network link. I split the line, put a "hub" in and am
trying to run tcpdump on a box off the side of the
hub.

Unfortunately, it turns out the hub isn't a hub, it's
a "switching hub" (what's not a switch about this? I
don't get it). Consequently, all I see are arp
packets, bootp packets, and the odd broadcast. I went
to a local store to buy a hub, and guess what, they
sold me another switching hub, so that has to be
returned :(

So, the question is, can anyone tell me the
manufacturer and product name of a real (dumb) hub? I
could use 10baseT instead if necessary, I just need
something cheap that is a simple repeater. Of course,
nobody advertizes "our hub really is a totally dumb
hub, not like those fancy switching hubs the
competition sells" ;>

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Simon