Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:31:11 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Major bogon in tcp_wrappers port.

Andreas Klemm wrote:

[ MarkM suggesting we bring tcp_wrappers into the "mainstream"]

> You're right, I'd vote for it as well.
> On the other hand ... how much overhead does it bring ?

Not much. Physically, the files are not big. They do not take
much time to compile. They _do_ add some latency to your daemon's
startup, except in the case where the app is linked against libwrap.

(Sendmail has such hooks, so does ssh (and I believe cvsupd as well?))

> Every time when an inetd related service is being started,
> the (of course small) tcpd program has to be executed.

Sure. You can configure your system suchg that the wrappers are not
used, if you prefer.

> Does it have to read and interpret sample /etc/hosts.allow
> and /etc/hosts.deny files, that might/should/could be created
> in /etc ?

If not present, these default to "allow everything".

> And ... which inetd related server programs do we want to
> protect, only some or all ?

Negotiable. I kinda like the idea if two files - inetd.conf.dist and
inetd.conf.wrap.dist, and some install option to choose one.

Mark Murray