Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:30:34 +0100
From:      stefan@buddha.rent-a-guru.de (Stefan Stapelberg)
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web site stats package

On Feb 15, 15:57, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
> Subject: Re: web site stats package

> I stand by my words.  The 'Hits' column in your 'Hits by Day' table is
> inconsistent with the output I get for 'grep 14/Feb/1999 /home/newsroom/logs/access_log | wc -l'
> or accesswatch  I don't have analog installed.  http-analyze-1.9e figures
> equal 'wc -l' figures by 2.  In this case I get 23287 with 'wc -l' as
> opposed to http-analyze stating there were 11644 hits that day.

this may result from a wrong configuration of http-analyze, which is
suitable for Netscape servers which have been configured to log 2 lines
(the normal log and the user agent/referrer thereafter) for each hit.

Sorry to say, but the person who created the executable for FreeBSD,
did a poor job.

The binary has not been generated by us. We did never generate executables
for 1.9e. This has changed since 2.x, but there are still binaries being
created by others, for which we do not take any responsibility.

Our FreeBSD port of 2.x works correctly like any other binary version
we did create. We DO test our ports and we don't need 1.5 years to
correct any errors reported by our users. Our reaction times for
problems is in the hour to day range.

I have attached information for getting the 2.2 version by anon FTP
from our FTP server. Feel free to download the FreeBSD binary and
to register for a Personal (free) license. Please throw away the
1.9e version from the FreeBSD package.

Let me state again: The distributed binary from any FreeBSD package
is *not* our port, it has *not* created by us. Our binary for FreeBSD
is distributed only through our FTP site and nowhere else.

Best regards,
Stefan

Dear Customer,

we are pleased to announce that http-analyze 2.2 has been released.
Version 2.2 corrects some problems and is the successor of 2.01.
Please see the description below for more information of new features.

You can obtain the software by FTP from our ftp server or wait for
the CDROM to arrive in next few days. Note that you also need the
registration images we sent to you by email when we processed
your order.

We are also pleased to inform you that we now offer binaries for
IBM AIX, Sun Solaris, SGI IRIX, HP/UX 10.20, Linux, FreeBSD, BSDI,
SCO Unix and Windows 95/98/NT.

FTP ACCESS TO VERSION 2.2
-------------------------

If you want to test the software before your CDROM arrives, please
download the appropriate package from our FTP site by anon FTP at:

	ftp.rent-a-guru.de/private/

Platform-independent files (required once for each Unix
platform in addition to the appropriate executable below):

	http-analyze2.2-base.tar.gz	680 KB	Base package

Platform-dependent files (executable):

	http-analyze2.2-irixO32.tar.gz	176 KB	IRIX 5.x (MIPS-2)
	http-analyze2.2-irixN32.tar.gz	172 KB	IRIX 6.x (MIPS-3)
	http-analyze2.2-aix4.2.tar.gz	224 KB	IBM AIX 4.2
	http-analyze2.2-solaris.tar.gz	156 KB	Sun Solaris
	http-analyze2.2-hpux.tar.gz	192 KB	HP/UX 10.20
	http-analyze2.2-linux.tar.gz	152 KB  Linux
	http-analyze2.2-glibc.tar.gz	148 KB  Linux (GNU C library)
	http-analyze2.2-sco.tar.gz	216 KB	SCO Unix
	http-analyze2.2-freebsd.tar.gz	152 KB	FreeBSD
	http-analyze2.2-bsdi.tar.gz	192 KB	BSDI

For other platforms not listed above, use the source code distribution:

	http-analyze2.2-src.tar.gz	800 KB	Source Distribution

The files don't appear there in a directory listing, but they exist.
Because the size of a patch would reach the size of the whole distribution
itself, there is no patch available to update http-analyze 2.01 to 2.2.

Version 2.2 will be placed on our web site as soon as the online documentation
has been updated. It will be not available to the public before that date.
"Early access" here means that you get the software before anyone else; it
does not mean that we are still testing this release. All tests of version 2.2
have been completed successfully on all platforms, including real-time tests
for Year 2000 compliance. The version we will publish on our web site will
be the same version made available to you in this "early access" program.

INSTALLATION
------------

First, if you want to compile the sources for yourself, please download
the newest version of the GD library (gd1.3) at

	http://www.boutell.com/gd/

if you don't have already. This new version features ISO 8859 support in
graphic images, which is required for an upcoming multi-national language
version of http-analyze.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure to install the registration images we sent to
you by email when you did register in the 'files/btn' subdirectory of
http-analyze2.2 after you have unpacked the TAR archives. If you did install
the previous version of the analyzer according to the documentation, you will
find those images in the subdirectory /usr/local/lib/http-analyze/btn/. Just
execute the following commands after unpacking the http-analyze distribution:

	$ cd http-analyze2.2
	$ cp /usr/local/lib/http-analyze/btn/netstore_??.gif files/btn/

Then compile the software and issue a "make install" (source distribution)
or install the executable by issuing a "makeinstall" (binary distribution).
There is no need to brand the binary with the registration ID again; just
make sure that the correct registration images are installed before
executing a "make install" or "makeinstall".

As always, please test the software locally before installing it on a
production system. See also the file sample.conf for examples of the
new configuration directives.  Please use ha-setup to install analyzer
configurations and report bugs with a prepared bug reporting form.

ENHANCEMENTS AND BUG FIXES
--------------------------

http-analyze 2.2 corrects some problems and has a lot of new features often
requested by customers. The following description briefly summarizes the
most important changes. Please see the file CHANGES included in the
distribution for a more detailed description.

	o The document title is now taken literal from the specification
	  in the configuration file in order to prepare for the upcoming
	  multi-national language version.

	o Changed `VirtualNames' directive to automatically include both,
	  the 'http' and 'https' protocol specifiers in self-referrer URLs
	  unless one of those protocol specifiers is explicitely given in
	  a `VirtualNames' directive (requested by Michael Dickey).

	o Changed the PageView mechanism to be able to define certain prefixes
	  (directories) in addition to suffixes (file types).  This allows to
	  count dynamic HTML pages created by CGI scripts as Pageviews, if the
	  CGI scripts are located in separate directories.

	o Added option `-q' and configuration directive `StripCGI', which
	  control whether CGI arguments in URLs are left intact or stripped
	  away from the URL (default). Retaining the arguments will display
	  more details for dynamic HTML pages produced by CGI scripts if
	  they use the GET method to pass arguments.

	o Added option `-g', which allows to create the conventional (1.9e-
	  style) user interface without the separate navigation window even
	  if JavaScript is enabled (requested by Chris Fryburger).

	o Added configuration directives, which allow to define the style
	  (fonts and sizes) of the statistics report.

	o Added environment variables HA_CONFIG and HA_LIBDIR, which allow
	  to specify alternate pathnames for the hard-wired defaults, so that
	  the software can be installed permanently without becoming root.

	o Added code to recognize virtual hosts by looking at the virtual
	  hostname, which is sometimes logged in the second (normally unused)
	  field of a logfile entry.

	o Now displays a message if all logfile entries have been skipped due
	  to some restriction defined in the configuration file or by using
	  command line options to ignore certain URLs/sites and no hits are
	  have been detected for the whole period.

	o Now performs stricter checking on the timestamp of a logfile entry,
	  since we learned of another case of a Netscape Enterprise server,
	  which did log accesses between 24:00 and 25:00 (inclusive!).

	o Now tests for MSIE 4.x in addition to the test for Netscape
	  Navigator 3.x/4.x in the JavaScript to enable image switching
	  in the frames-based interface.

	o Tested http-analyze for compliance with the gd library 1.3 API.
	  g1.3 is needed in preparation for the upcoming multi-national
	  language version.

	o Tested all output files for compliance of "HTML 3.2 with Netscape
	  extensions" using weblint.

	o Tested http-analyze for Year 2000 compliance. For further
	  information, see our Year 2000 Compliance Statement at:
	  http://www.netstore.de/Supply/http-analyze/year2000.html

	o Fixed a bug in conversion of the history file from version 1.9e
	  which caused the analyzer to dump core on certain platforms.
	  If this bug appears during upgrade from 1.9e to 2.01 (not 2.2!),
	  use the "cvt_files" script from this distribution.

	o Fixed a bug where self-referrer URLs inadvertedly showed up
	  in the list of referrer URLs, cluttering up those lists. Made
	  comparison of hostnames in self-referrer URLs case-insensitive.

	o Fixed and revised non-working '-a' option and AuthReq directive
	  (skip autheticated requests), fixed non-working '-t' option.

	o Fixed a bug in the parseDate function, which inadvertedly did
	  interpret the year 00 in `-I' and `-E' options as the current
	  year, not the year 2000.

If you have any question regarding the update, please send us an email
or give us a call by phone at Frankfurt times.

Have fun with the new version of http-analyze and thank you very much
for using our software.

Best regards,

Stefan Stapelberg

--
Stefan Stapelberg         Fon: +49.6221.803.802      RENT-A-GURU (TM)
<stefan@rent-a-guru.de>   Fax: +49.6221.803.899      Neuer Weg 16