Date:      Tue, 15 May 2018 13:46:49 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unable to boot 11.2-BETA1 on BeagleBone

--e5bfZ/T2xnjpUIbw

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 04:33:26PM -0500, Mike Karels wrote:
> I tried to boot 11.2-BETA1 on a BeagleBone Black that had been running
> 11.1-RELEASE.  It didn't boot, falling back to the EMMC (which isn't boot=
able,
> a different problem).  I was also unable to boot the snapshot from 12/20.
> I see that the boot partition has different contents:
>=20
> 11.1-RELEASE:
> MLO             u-boot.img      ubldr           ubldr.bin
>=20
> 11.2-BETA1:
> MLO             boot.scr        u-boot.img      ubldr.bin
>=20
> Has anyone else been able to boot on a BeagleBone?
>=20

I saw this too with 11.2-BETA1, but due to inconsistencies between two
different BeagleBone SoCs used to test, could not rule out if the
problem was due to local hardware failure.

Specifically, one of two I have has the EMMC overwritten to avoid
needing to "manually" boot FreeBSD, and the UART does not work correctly
(because I am dangerous with solder), and nothing outputted on the HDMI
console.  The other system has working EMMC, seemingly broken HDMI
output, but working UART that only displayed repeated 'C' when booting.

So, I wasn't entirely sure if it was "just me" or not.

Could you please open a PR about this, assigned to freebsd-arm@ and with
re@ in CC?

Glen

--e5bfZ/T2xnjpUIbw