Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 13:44:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Policy on printf format specifiers?

> > > I don't want wchar_t's in the kernel.
> > I also fail to see the need for this, and even if I did see the need, I
> > still think we shouldn't have them in the kernel...
>
> I would have to agree..
> the kernel is too special a case to try make it generic in this way..
> maybe a 'syslogd' that can translate well known system error messages
> might be more useful :)

The intent in this case would be to print the NULL's and have the console
ignore the display of them, or to truncate the strings as if they were
ISO-8859-1 only.

The purpose of this is to allow debugging of internationalized subsystems,
in particular file system directory entry name space.

This is *not* an attempt to support internationalization of kernel messages.
Though that would be critically cool, it is an unlikely prospect in the
extreme without additional support for argument positioning qualifiers for
syntactic reordering of sentences.  And I'm not asking for that (consider
that Japanese sentence structure is SOV and english is SVO.  Now consider
an application that prints out two values in a single sentence, the order
of which is dictated by logic of sentence structure).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---