Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:51:31 -0800
From:      "Mark D. Foster" <mark@foster.cc>
To:        "J. Johnston" <jeremy@stormy.smart-serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam filtering with dspam and postfix

J. Johnston wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of a good howto, or some tips for
> filtering spam using dspam in a setup where virtual users (various
> domains) are stored in LDAP. Currently we hand off email to dspam in
> the filter stage and dspam hands it back into postfix as lmtp, the
> problem with this is the current setup uses (and only howto I can
> find) one user for dspam, so the quarantine is under one username, we
> would like to separate this so each user@domain has their own
> quarantines.
Just setup postfix + dspam + procmail last week, although on
Ubuntu...conceptually the same.
Here is the article I followed:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/focus_spam_dspam?page=0%2C0

I used dspam as the delivery agent (mailbox_command) which in turn calls
procmail.

Turning this into a working configuration took a LOT of tuning... it's
still not quite right but alas DSPAM (after training) is doing a nice
job of  filtering more than 90% of what gets past the DNSBL. End result,
I am only seeing a few spam messages per day, and those are the
odd/terse kind.

--
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Mark D. Foster, CISSP <mark@foster.cc>  http://mark.foster.cc/