Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:37:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is sound support is hold on so poor undocumented level?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
>
> > Related hardware:
> > SoundBlaster 16 pci (well woriking with other systems ) not pnp
> > Related software :
> > FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE
> > Kernel values configured :
> > controller pnp0
> > device pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
> >
> > It already took more then 24 of vain efforts to configure it for
> > freeBSD .The most up-to-date information was sound.doc and relates
> > to 2.1.Now the question:What steps needed to configure given  sound card
> > under FreeBSD .
>
> Uh, what's wrong with 'man pcm'?  It tells you the line to put in your
> config, but obviously it can't tell you which values to use for IRQ/DMA
> and so on.
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
> FreeBSD Documentation Project /

  Dear Ben,
It is everything ok with 'man pcm' as well as physically with my sound
card (card is alive).I also tried to set irq ? and drq  to ? and to leave
setting of interupts to hardware(pci is always quasi pnp due to
architecture imho)Next advice ? Besides you rather extended answer
gave no clue why it was not updated since 2.1 already.
What is orthogonal architecture as applied to  sound card ?
And frankly I do not understand why should it be so complicated
to write interface to wired FFT and D/A/D-converter to make
the configuration understandable and logical ?

Regards ,
Ariel