Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:19:21 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tao.thought.org is back.....

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:22:44AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-10-18 17:14, Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:57:08AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > > On 2006-10-18 14:12, Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
> > > >
> > This would work [or ought to!]; right now, all my mail echange
> > entries are equi-valued at 50.  But this seems like a back door
> > way of dealing with sendmail.  I'm the first to admit that it's a
> > less tha optimal suite, obscure beyond words, (etc).  But I'd
> > like to understand how to resolve this problem with senmail....
>
> Sendmail (or any other MTA, for that matter) should really *trust* the
> DNS admin to properly configure MX records.
>
> There's nothing wrong with relying on MX records which, for example,
> point to:
>
>     thought.org.	IN	MX	10	mx1.thought.org.
>     thought.org.	IN	MX	20	mx2.thought.org.
>
> If I understood what you are trying to do, then a nice set of MX
> priorities *does* what you want.  Why would you want to mess with
> mailertables? :)

	I *really* don't hate myself, am not a masovhist, honest!
	But after ~14 years, it's time to understand sendmail.  That's
	all.  ---I  mean without investing--(wasting)-- months tying to
	work thru all of ERic Allman's hack-arounds.

	:-)

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix