Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2013 10:45:37 -0700
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        Shawn Wallbridge <shawn.wallbridge@imaginaryforces.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FFS Softdep Kernel Panic

> From: Shawn Wallbridge <shawn.wallbridge@imaginaryforces.com>
> To: Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>,
>         "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org"
> 	<freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
> CC: John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: FFS Softdep Kernel Panic
> Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 17:30:57 +0000
>
> On 11/1/13 9:56 AM, "Kirk McKusick" <mckusick@mckusick.com> wrote:
>
>>I have taken a look at your bug report and have a couple of questions
>>about your system:
>>
>>Your kernel was built at the end of September. Has this problem
>>persisted since that kernel was build, or has it showed up more recently?
>>
>>Are you running with journaled soft updates or just regular soft
>>updates? You can use the mount command with no arguments to find out.
>>
>>       Kirk McKusick
>>

> Thank you.
>
> This machine was originally built using 9.1-RELEASE, which had the problem
> as well, so I updated to 9.2-RELEASE to try to resolve the issue.
>
> I am running both,
>
> /dev/da0p1 on /sam (ufs, NFS exported, local, journaled soft-updates)
>
> I am building a kernel with invariants right now.
>
> shawn

The problem that you are seeing is probably not related to the journaling,
but it would be helpful if you could try running with just soft updates
to see if the problem goes away. To do this you need to unmount /sam
(or at least downgrade it to read-only), then run:

	tunefs -j disable /sam

Then remount /sam (or reenable writing) and use `mount' to verify that
it worked. Also `rm /sam/.sujournal'. Run with that configuration and
see if the problem persists.

	Kirk McKusick