Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 03:58:51 +0200
From:      "Oli" <olivier@blacktrap.net>
To:        "Fernando Gleiser" <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipf/ipnat question

On Thu, 16 May, 2002 19:26, "Fernando Gleiser" wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Oli wrote:
> > (snip)
>
> IIRC, those features use H.323 which uses embedded IPs in the payload of
> the packet. I don't know why some people still design protocols assuming
> everyone has a valid, public IP. FTP was made when that (maybe) was true, but
> h323 came when private nets behind NAT boxes where the rule. Some people
> never learn.

After looking a little bit around it seems that the protocol used is
SIP and not H.323 in MSN Messenger. And there doesn't seem to be a proxy
for that sadly. I guess I'm stuck unless I can write the proxy myself.
This is weird I'd have thought someone would have encountered the problem
before me and done something. I'll keep looking ;-)

> There is an experimental builtin h323 proxy in ipnat, but I haven't tested it
> myself. Search the ipf mailing list at http://false.net/ipfilter
> for h323, you may get some useful info there.
>
> Hope this helps

And indeed this was a great help, thanks a lot :-)

--
Oli