Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 20:06:28 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dual-homed machine, performance problems.

I have two 3C509b's in my FreeBSD box. One is connected to the
net, the other to my internal network. When I use the net from
FreeBSD fairly extensively, I get fairly poor performance for
transfers between it and other machines in the network (max I've
seen is 70KB/s) however it often jumps past 140 KB/s when there's
no traffic on the first NIC. I've got a P90 with 32MB of RAM and
64MB swap. I would think I could get rates up to 1MB/s internally
without a problem (or at least 800KB/s) but I've never seen it go
past about 150KB/s no matter what.

What could I do to improve network performance, both internally,
and when using both NIC's?

Thanks!

Emmanuel