Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2010 21:30:04 +0100
From:      Davide Petilli <7h3.k3rn31@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating.

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 03:11:54PM -0500, Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Up to this point I have always updated (within a branch), by dropping to single user mode for everything.
>
> After running cvsup to obtain the new source, is it generally considered OK to run the maike buildworld in multiuser mode, or, are the dangers to doing this?
>
> Of course, after that step, one would drop to single user mode to buildkernel, installkernel, and installworld.

It's perfectly safe to do 'make buildworld' in multiuser mode, but you have todo 'make installworld' in single user mode booting your newly compiled kernel.
Regarding the kernel you can do both 'make buildkernel' and 'make installkernel' (or directly 'make kernel') in multiuser mode.

--
Davide Petilli - "k3rn31"
Potenza, Italy