Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:14:23 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   portupgrade/ports question

Situation:
I set up a portal server as per the instructions at their site; it
involved installing some PERL modules from CPAN, which I have since
learned on FreeBSD appears to be a no no...

Now I have some updates to do, but I don't want it to interfere with
the web portal software.  In theory, the updates should just replace
the CPAN stuff where they overlap, no?  When I do some updates on
software (like ClamAV) that apparently *uses* some of these modules, I
get the error:
pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MIME-tools-5.411 has no origin recorded
pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MailTools-1.62 has no origin recorded
pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MIME-tools-5.411 has no origin recorded
pkg_delete: package bsdpan-MailTools-1.62 has no origin recorded

but these errors aren't enough to keep it from completing the update on
the software in question. Portversion is yielding:

# portversion | grep -v "="
apache                      <
bsdpan-Archive-Zip          <
bsdpan-DBD-mysql            <
bsdpan-DBI                  <
bsdpan-IO-stringy           >
bsdpan-Lingua-EN-NameParse  >
bsdpan-MIME-tools           #
bsdpan-Mail-POP3Client      >
bsdpan-MailTools            #
bsdpan-Spreadsheet-WriteExcel  >
bsdpan-Test-Manifest        <
bsdpan-URI                  <
bsdpan-Unicode-String       <
bsdpan-XML-RSS              <
bsdpan-perl-ldap            <
expat                       <
ezm3                        <
libiconv                    <
m4                          <
openssl                     <
p5-libwww                   <
perl                        <
rc_subr                     <
rsync                       <
ruby                        <

Meaning some PAN modules are of *higher* versions than available
through ports?  How?

Can I safely try upgrading those modules?  Has anyone run into
something like this before?

-Bart