Date:      04 Apr 2001 19:33:02 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.org>
To:        michael@tenzo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about installing ports...

"Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com> writes:

> 1. It looks as though binary packages may be added and removed using the
> "pkg_add" and "pkg-delete" commands. Will "pkg-delete" also remove binaries
> created by the "make install" process?

Yes.  But it's pkg_delete.

> 2. Is there a central repository of package information on my system that
> could tell me what version of a package is installed?

You can use pkg_version or browse through /var/db/pkg.

> 3. Is there a way to specify a mirror on the command line when giving the
> "make install" command? I'm feeling guilty because most of the sources I've
> downloaded have come from "ftp.freebsd.org" rather than a local mirror.

Set MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE in /etc/make.conf (see
/etc/defaults/make.conf for details).

> 4. I'm pretty sure that XFree86-3.3.6_4 is what gets installed by FreeBSD
> 4.2. After installing 4.2,  I used cvsup to refresh my ports collection and
> noticed that the latest version of the "old" XFree86 is 3.3.6_7. If I went to
> /usr/ports/x11/XFree86 and did a "make deinstall" using this updated
> Makefile, would it remove 3.3.6_4? (I'm asking because it didn't seem to
> work. Neither did "pkg_delete XFree86". I ended up installing 4.0.3 on top of
> the old version.)

You probably wanted "pkg_delete XFree86-3.3.6_4".  Next time you
upgrade, I'd use pkg_delete for both XFree86 versions you had
installed and just ignore the messages about files that aren't really
there.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.