Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2007 02:52:21 -0500
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   An ssh Question

I have a machine that is my firewall/gateway to a private network NATing
non-routable addresses. I can ssh at-will from hosts on the private
network to machines out on the net, but when I try to ssh from the
firewall machine to a particular address, it just hangs and eventually
times out. Verbose output is:

   OpenSSH_4.5p1 FreeBSD-20061110, OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004
   debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
   debug1: Connecting to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com [x.x.x.x] port 22.

What is really baffling is that if I try the exact same thing from, say,
a cygwin session on a host on the private network - this works fine.
So ... it's not a firewall problem as near as I can tell.  It may be
an ssh configuration problem - that is, the FreeBSD ssh client can't do
it, but another client (cygwin) can.

Ideas?
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com