Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 03:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bernard Klatt- Admin <admin@ftcnet.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Hi-speed serial input for Pagesat HS-2000?

was  Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server
On Sat, 29 Jun 1996, Jacob M. Parnas wrote:

> >> I'm confused.  I thought the 16550 was good up to 115,200 baud, but when
> >> ISDN eventually takes over with compression, ~512kbaud will be the norm.
> >> I don't know if they can handle that...
> >
> The TI 17550 can go up to 900kbaud/second, which is a new UART.
>
> I've seen a PC Card that costs $199-$319 depending on who you are,
> and it does everything with a UART on top (the software driver for
> BSDI will be $95.

I'm having trouble with receive overruns with the 115.2 Kb/s news
feed from the new Pagesat HS-2000.  I'm using a Lava ISA 16C550-
based com port on a 486DX4-100, 64 MB RAM, BSDI V2.1 news server.
I talked to 'Mike' at Pagesat who recommended a DOS-based PC as
a dedicated input spooler which would then feed the BSDI news
server.
  This seems like an extravagant 'kludge'.  I checked
around a found a couple of external serial buffer boxes, but
they wouldn't work faster than 38.4 Kb/s.  CyberResearch has
a hi-speed buffered serial card, but it's designed for output
spooling.
  I think what I need is a hi-speed buffered input serial
card that's compatible with the Pagesat  psfrx  program.  I think
16 or 32 bytes of FIFO is not nearly enough since the Pagesat
data receiver does no flow control.  Ideas, suggestions or product
source would be welcome.

Bernard Klatt  Owner  Fairview Tech Ctr Ltd.   www.ftcnet.com