Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:25:16 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: make the experimental NFS subsystem the default one

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Rick Macklem wrote:
>>
>>> My intent here is not to sound overly critical, but critical enough to
>>> make sure you triple-check all your ducks are in a row. :-)
>>
>> Well, I can't think of more that I can do than answer, as above.
>
> It is my feeling that you have been unnecessarily slammed. =C2=A0I have n=
ot tried
> the experimental NFS but then again I am not running the latest FreeBSD
> either. =C2=A0When I do update my FreeBSD, I will be sure to use your
> experimental version.
>
> My main interest is interoperability with systems other than FreeBSD such=
 as
> Solaris, Linux, and Apple's OS X. =C2=A0Client throughput of FreeBSD's de=
fault
> NFS is low. =C2=A0I would be hoping to get more throughput. =C2=A0Also, m=
odern NFS
> uses TCP so I would expect to use that. I am also using the automounter a=
nd
> hope that the updated NFS works at least as well (or better) than the
> default one.

I haven't netbooted any systems yet, but I've been using the
experimental NFS server for a few months now.  Originally with Kubuntu
9.10 NFSv3 clients, then with NFSv4 clients (Kubuntu, Arch Linux).  So
far, everything works well.

For streaming video files, it works extremely well.  :)  Started with
UDP mounts, switched to TCP mounts, without any issues.

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com