Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:49:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cmr@sitaranetworks.com (Charles Richmond)
Cc:        phiber@radicalmedia.com ('Mark Abene'), freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG ('freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG')
Subject:   Re: wide chars? towlower, etc.?

>   I did presentations at a couple of the Unicode conferences and
> in the process, looked at the multibyte/wide char issues in glib
> and in Tru64. It is my recollection that towupper and towlower are
> macros defined in wctype.h which should be part of glib-2.0 and
> later. the pertinent routine for the actual conversion should
> be towctrans(). You might want to take a look at the Tru64 docs.
> If you do not have them handy then use the docs mounted off of my
> webpage: 	 http://www.iisc.com/dunix/ARH9YATE/CHDVLPSF.HTM

This should all really go into a "libxpg4".

Note that ELF supports linking a shared library against a shared
library, so you could link libc against this to get the functions
"into the base C library".

This has the advantage that it keeps the code seperate, but will
not load it into core and take up space by default, since the
default is RTLD_LAZY for shared library bindings.

PS: The linker should treat this as RTLD_PRELOAD for the purposes
of symbol resolution, when linking a program image, such that you
don't get executables which link successfully, but fail to run
because of runtime symbol loading failures.

PPS: The resolver library should be handed the same way, to
better facilitate upgrades.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---