Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 15:12:46 +0200 (MEST)
From:      hans@artcom.de (Hans Huebner)
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI - wiring down devices...

Karl Pielorz wrot:
>The idea is that the system boot's off the 2940UW, and as I'm going to be
>adding and removing a large number of drives over both the controllers - I
>don't want sd0 to 'suddenly' get assigned somewhere else - and I'd like the
>drives sdX number to be dependant on their ID (to avoid the sdX table
>'collapsing' when I remove drives from the middle)...

>To this end I've got:

>controller      scbus0 at ahc0
>controller      scbus1 at ahc1
>disk            sd0 at scbus0 target 0

>My questions are:

>a) Is this going to work? - It would 'appear' to work thus far, but I've not
>added the drives yet...
Yes.

>b) Can anyone think of anything bad that's going to happen if I do this?

Not really.  I have a similar configuration where I set up the on-board
Adaptec controller be responsible vor scbus2, and have a Symbios card control
busses 0 and 1.  Works like a charm.  The only ceveat I could imagine is
that you won't be able to meaningfully use a GENERIC kernel, but this should
not hurt too much.

What I'm really missing is a way to have the device names for SCSI devices
directly reflect their SCSI addresses.  I consider it quite painful to have
to specify device names for each and every disk I will possibly add in the
future in the configuration in order to prevent the symptom called "drive
letter mixup".  I also think that

disk            da31 at scbus1 target 14

is not quite intuitive.  Maybe we manage to change to a more sensible scheme
before CAM hits -current.

-Hans