Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:53:35 +1100
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   Moving to synth (was: Removing documentation)

--g3RkK9jYN81zD2N+

On Monday,  8 February 2016 at 23:15:45 +0100, John Marino wrote:
> On 2/8/2016 11:07 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> I think you're missing the point.  If this were the criterion for
>> becoming maintainer, there's a good chance that nobody would
>> volunteer.  Your suggestion would work in a corporate environment, but
>> that's not us.
>
> I have said repeatedly that this criteria is unique to portmaster
> due to it's presence in the handbook and to its [apparent]
> importance in the ports ecosystem.

This wasn't very obvious.

> I am NOT saying this is the criteria for every port.  However, I would
> rather nobody volunteer if they aren't qualified so that decisions
> aren't kicked down the road like a can. I'm not looking to check a box
> resulting in no improvement, I want somebody qualified or not at all.

And that's what you're getting: not at all.

So how would things improve in this respect if we change to synth?
There we need a maintainer who understands Ada.  OK, at the moment
that's you.  But what happens when you relinquish maintainership for
whatever reason?

My feeling on the matter is that there's space for more than one tool,
as Mathias suggested.  But I think it would help synth to have
user-oriented documentation similar to that for portmaster or
portupgrade ("to achieve this, do this...").  I could see this as a
good addition to the handbook (4.5.3.3).  A(n objective) discussion of
the pros and cons of the three alternatives would also be useful.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.