Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:26:48 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VMware Player 2 Linux on 6.2-RELEASE

Hi all.

Has anyone tried running VMware Player 2 for Linux under the FreeBSD
Linux ABI? I'll give it a go myself, of course, but I'm interested in
others' experiences. My RELENG_6_2 kernel/world build server works
perfectly under the WinXP version of Player 2.

I'm doing this because it'd be nice if I could suspend the VM, copy it
to USB stick, transfer it to BSD and start it again, so I could use the
Windows box for playing a game or watching a movie while the make runs.

[I can't do that with the VM running. I find WinXP tends to panic if I
try to run more than one application at once. Understandable really,
since it only has 1GB RAM to play with.]

I've installed the vmware3 port on my i386 6.2-RELEASE-p7 laptop, but of
course that won't run Player 2 machines.

Any thoughts?

I don't know if anyone's interested to play with this VM, but if you are
let me know and I'll put it on my website. Or a Torrent tracker maybe.
It's not big, less than 400MB when compressed with 7-zip. A prepackaged
USB stick sized kernel/world build server? Would that be useful to
anyone apart from me? BTW the disk is only a 2000MB growable VMDK, so
you can't use it for a distfiles repository or building ports.

TiA,
Adam J Richardson